Welcome to my blog

This is my diary blog which I started when I retired from the Civil Service in April 2010. I like to include some of the things that I see and do with as many photographs as possible. Thank you for visiting my blog I hope you enjoyed it and will return to see what I have been doing. Or you could always join and be one of my followers.

If you would like to use one of my photographs then please ask me first, as they are all subject to copyright.

If you are interested in my crafts then I have added these to my crafting blog -
http://lynnes-crafting.blogspot.com/





Search

Monday, 18 October 2010

Weekend with my school friends

Each year my school friends and I get together for a weekend away.  We have been doing these weekends for the last 4 years and they are always good fun and an opportunity to catch up.

This year we had a Warner Break and went to Sinah Warren, Hayling Island. 

We arrived on Friday and checked in, we then took a walk down the road to find out about the ferry and the bus to Portsmouth.


< Boats near the Hayling Ferry


On the Saturday we took a late morning ferry over to Southsea and picked up the bus to Portsmouth. We visited the Gunwharf Quay which includes many historical buildings, shops, restaurants, pubs and the Spinnaker Tower.











So following some retail therapy and lunch in the Custom House Pub we visited the Spinnaker Tower.

 
The Spinnaker Tower is a 170 metre visitor attraction in Portsmouth and there are amazing views of the South Coast from the observation floors.    The Tower is taller than the London Eye, Big Ben and the Blackpool Tower.

We took the lift up the observation floors of the Tower and on the 1st observation floor there is a glass floor.







< here is Sally and Kate on the glass floor.





The views from the tower are amazing and you get an excellent birdseye view of Portsmouths historic dockyard.


                                                                                                                                 

I managed to zoom in on the HMS Victory
and the flags on the HMS Warrior










 

We were really lucky with the weather and the sun continued to shine while we were up the tower which gave this really great shadow.









I had to include a couple of photographs of some weathervanes I saw while in Portsmouth as weathervanes are favourite of mine.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good trip and the photos look good. When I lived in Winchester we used to go to Gunwharf Quay a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you've been busy again! Thanks for the tour of Portsmouth - that's another bit on my want-to-do list! I had been thinking more of the historic dockyards, but that Spinnaker Tower definitely sounds/looks like fun and worthwhile! The glass floor might be scary, though!

    ReplyDelete