Welcome to my blog

This is my diary blog which I started when I retired from the Civil Service in April 2010. I like to include some of the things that I see and do with as many photographs as possible. Thank you for visiting my blog I hope you enjoyed it and will return to see what I have been doing. Or you could always join and be one of my followers.

If you would like to use one of my photographs then please ask me first, as they are all subject to copyright.

If you are interested in my crafts then I have added these to my crafting blog -
http://lynnes-crafting.blogspot.com/





Search

Monday, 10 January 2011

Suffragette monument

I went up to London today to meet a friend for lunch and whilst I was waiting for her I popped into Christchurch Gardens in Victoria.  These gardens are basically a small patch of grass and bushes on the corner of Victoria Street and Broadway near to New Scotland Yard.  

In the gardens there is a monument to the Suffragettes.   The monument is in the form of a scroll and the inscription reads:-  "This tribute is erected by the Suffragette Fellowship to commemorate the courage and perseverance of all those men and women who in the long struggle for votes for women selflessly braved derision, opposition and ostracism, many enduring physical violence and suffering".

If you are in the area check it out, after all it is an important piece of history. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting - another monument I didn't know existed. You are a fantastic guide to "London off the beaten track" :) !!!

    ReplyDelete