Welcome to my blog

This is my diary blog which I started when I retired from the Civil Service in April 2010. I like to include some of the things that I see and do with as many photographs as possible. Thank you for visiting my blog I hope you enjoyed it and will return to see what I have been doing. Or you could always join and be one of my followers.

If you would like to use one of my photographs then please ask me first, as they are all subject to copyright.

If you are interested in my crafts then I have added these to my crafting blog -
http://lynnes-crafting.blogspot.com/





Search

Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Flat Bread

Today, a very wet, windy day in April is definitely one for staying in.   So I made myself lunch of flat breads, cream cheese and olives.   
The flat bread recipe came from the internet and originated from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall but I found it on a Mean Mother Cooker blog


250g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
150ml warm water


HOW TO MAKE:
Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt. Add the oil and water and form into a dough with your hands.

Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until the dough feels smooth and elastic. Cover the ball with an upturned mixing bowl and let it rest for 15 minutes.

When you are ready to cook and eat the flatbreads, roll the dough into a sausage shape and divide into 8 balls. Flour the work surface and roll out the dough to around 2-3mm thick, using plenty of flour. I find that the dough needs to rest once rolled out for at least 3-5 minutes.

Place a heavy-based non-stick frying pan - or a cast iron griddle - over a high heat and when it's good and hot, turn the heat down a bit. Have a plate lined with a clean tea towel so you can put your cooked flatbreads on it to keep them warm and soft.

Shake off any excess flour and carefully lay a flatbread in the hot pan. Let it sit for a minute or two, until the dough looks 'set' on top and has started to lift away from the pan. Flip over and cook for another 30-45 seconds. Wrap the cooked flatbreads in the tea towel to keep warm while the rest are cooking.

Serve the flatbreads while they are still soft and warm. Once cold, they won't be quite the same. But they can be recycled by tearing them into pieces, brushing with a little oil, then crisping them up in a hot oven to make dipping chips, or flat croutons for soups or salad
s.

2 comments:

  1. it looks delicius, and it's healthier than chocolates and a movie!

    ReplyDelete